The Board of Education expects that each professional and support staff member shall put forth every effort to promote a quality instructional program in the school district. In building a quality program, employees must meet certain expectations that include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Become familiar with, enforce and follow all Board policies, regulations, administrative procedures, other directions given by district administrators and state and federal laws as they affect the performance of job duties.
2. Maintain courteous and professional relationships with pupils, parents/guardians, other employees of the district and all patrons of the district.
3. Keep current on developments affecting the employee’s area of expertise or position.
4. Transact all official business with the appropriate designated authority in the district in a timely manner.
5. Transmit constructive criticism of other staff members or of any department of the school district to the particular school administrator who has the administrative responsibility for improving the situation.
6. Care for, properly use and protect school property.
7. Attend all required staff meetings called by district administration, unless excused.
8. Keep all student records, medical information and other sensitive information confidential as directed by law, Board policy, district procedures and the employee’s supervisor.
9. Immediately report all dangerous building conditions or situations to the building supervisor and take action to rectify the situation and protect the safety of students and others if necessary.
10. Properly supervise all students. The Board expects all students to be under assigned adult supervision at all times during school and during any school activity. Except in an emergency, no employee will leave an assigned group unsupervised.
11. Obey all safety rules, including rules protecting the safety and welfare of students.
12. Submit all required reports or paperwork at the time requested. Employees will not falsify records maintained by the school district.
13. Refrain from using profanity.
14. Dress professionally and in a manner that will not interfere with the educational environment.
15. Come to work and leave work at the time specified by the employee handbook or by the employee’s supervisor. Employees who are late to work, stop working before the scheduled time or work beyond the scheduled time without permission may be subject to discipline, including termination.
16. School employees, other than commissioned law enforcement officers, shall not strip search students, as defined in state law, except in situations where an employee reasonably believes that the student possesses a weapon, explosive or substance that poses an imminent threat of physical harm to the student or others and a commissioned law enforcement officer is not immediately available.
17. School employees shall not direct a student to remove an emblem, insignia or garment, including a religious emblem, insignia or garment, as long as such emblem, insignia or garment is worn in a manner that does not promote disruptive behavior.
18. State law prohibits teachers from participating in the management of a campaign for the election or defeat of a member of the Board of Education that employs such teacher.
19. Employees will not use district funds or resources to advocate, support or oppose any ballot measure or candidate for public office.
20. Employees will not use any time during the working day for campaigning purposes, unless allowed by law.
* * * * * * *
|Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for related information.|
Cross Refs: AC, Prohibition Against Illegal Discrimination and Harassment CH, Policy Implementation and Dissemination
DCB, Political Campaigns
IGDF, Student Fundraising
JFG, Interrogations, Interviews and Searches
JO, Student Records
KI, Public Solicitations/Advertising in District Facilities
Legal Refs: §§ 115.646, 167.166, 168.114, .130, RSMo.
Raymondville R-VII School District, Raymondville, Missouri
© 2004, Missouri School Boards’ Association, Registered in U.S. Copyright Office
For Office Use Only: GBCB-C.1B (12/04)