APPOINTED BOARD OFFICIALS
On or before July 15 of each year, the Board shall elect a school district secretary, treasurer and other Board officials deemed necessary and advisable. The Board will set the terms of service and compensation. If either the secretary or treasurer is a member of the Board, compensation for services may not be received. If not a member of the Board, reasonable compensation for services may be received. Vacancies in Board officer positions shall be filled by Board election of replacements.
Duties of the Board Secretary
The secretary of the Board of Education shall perform or cause to be performed the following duties:
1. Be present at all regular and special meetings of the Board, and special Board committee meetings as requested by the committee chairman, in order to keep an accurate record of the proceedings.
2. Keep accurate record of Board member attendance at Board meetings.
3. Keep a complete and accurate record of all regular and special meetings of the Board of Education, transcribe and type the official copy in the minutes book, and make copies of the minutes for the superintendent and for each member of the Board.
4. Keep all records of the Board of Education in a fireproof vault or safe in the office of the superintendent.
5. Notify all members of regular, executive or special meetings of the Board.
6. Post all notices required by law or when duly ordered by the Board.
7. Issue and/or sign all reports, orders and official documents when such are required by law or duly ordered by the Board of Education.
8. Make and securely keep copies of election notices, contracts with teachers, certificates and all other papers relating to the business of the district.
9. File a copy of all reports with the records of the district as required by law or by the Board of Education.
10. Secure the election results of all propositions submitted to voters and duly enter such results in the district records. This shall include votes on tax levies, bond issues and other issues placed before the voters. Issue certificates of election to newly elected Board members.
11. Forward a complete copy of the annual report to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) at Jefferson City at the designated time.
12. Publish advertisements, requests for bids, etc., as ordered by the Board.
13. Make all reports required by law to DESE, the United States Department of Education and other federal/state agencies.
14. Destroy canceled bonds and interest coupons in the presence of at least two (2) Board members and two (2) other witnesses, and record in the books of the district a description of the bonds so destroyed by noting the date issued and due date, the number and amount of each bond, and the names of Board members and witnesses who were present at the burning of the bonds.
15. Maintain a correct plat of the district and notify DESE and the county clerk of any boundary changes.
16. Certify copies of redistricting resolutions and plans.
17. Make attendance reports of any boundary changes to DESE and to the county clerk.
18. In the absence of both the president and vice president of the Board, the secretary shall call a Board meeting to order and a president pro tempore shall be chosen.
19. Perform such additional functions as may be required by law or authorized by the Board of Education, either directly or through the superintendent.
Duties of the Board Treasurer
The treasurer of the Board of Education shall perform or cause to be performed the following duties:
- Become the custodian of all school moneys derived from taxation for school purposes in the district until paid out on the order of the Board.
2. Execute before entering the treasurer’s duties a bond of security with two (2) or more sureties, which shall be approved by the Board and payable to the Board, conditioned upon the faithful discharge of the official duties of treasurer and in accordance with state law.
3. Receive and deposit promptly all moneys belonging to the district and pay out the same upon order of the Board of Education.
4. Pay out money from district funds only by order of the Board upon checks signed by the president and treasurer. The Board provides authorization for signatures to be affixed in facsimile.
5. Draw checks upon the order of the Board of Education in favor of any party to whom the district has become legally indebted. The checks are to be paid out of any moneys in the appropriate funds in the hands of the treasurer and belonging to the district.
6. Serve as legal custodian of all bonds, moneys and other securities belonging to the school district.
7. Keep or cause to be kept complete, accurate and legal records of all moneys collected and expended on Missouri uniform accounting forms.
8. Deliver to the Board of Education canceled bonds to be destroyed in compliance with the state law.
9. Annually, not later than the first day of August, settle with the Board of Education and account to the Board for all school moneys or funds received, from whom and on what account they were received and the amount paid out for school purposes.
10. Present the annual settlement to the clerk of the county commission after its approval by the Board.
11. Submit a monthly report to the Board reflecting the current balance in district funds and receipts for the preceding month.
12. Make other such reports as may be required by the Board.
13. Keep records available for inspection by the Board at all times.
14. Deliver to successor in office all district books and papers with all district moneys or other property in the treasurer’s possession.
15. Sign all legal documents as required by law.
16. Perform other duties required by law and/or assigned by the Board.
* * * * * * *
|Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for related information.|
Cross Refs: DH, Bonded Employees and Officers
Legal Refs: §§ 105.273 – .276, 162.301, .303, .371, .391, .401, .441, .821,
163.081, 164.221, .181, 165.021, .061, .091, .101, .111, 291, RSMo.
Raymondville R-VII School District, Raymondville, Missouri
© 2001, Missouri School Boards’ Association, Registered in U.S. Copyright Office
For Office Use Only: BCC-.1E (8/01)